Working With and Around Horses | Job Opportunities with Blue Skies Stables
If you have a love of everything to do with horses, and just being around them – then chances are, we will have a job at some point in time that you are interested in! Located just outside of Clayton, NC (and only 3 miles from the nearest Starbucks), Blue Skies Stables is a 35 acre Hunter Jumper Equestrian Facility. We are professionally owned and operated, and we expect nothing but the best experience for our boarders and students, and in order to do so, we are looking for people that not only love horses, but want to work to grow something really special! Below are some opportunities that we have come available throughout the year for working with horses :
Barn Managers –
These are the people that are committed to working with our trainers on providing the proper care for our horses, and ensuring they are being well taken care of. Barn managers can be either full time, part time or weekend, but they are all the ones that keep Blue Skies Stables running and beautiful! Typical work includes feeding of the horses, turn-in and turn-out of the horses, mucking stalls, cleaning of the barn, and normal day-to-day activities as it relates to the care of the horses and barn. Below is some high level information about what we’re currently looking for:
- Evening shifts from 4:00 to 9:30pm
- Weekend shifts from 7:00am to 4:00pm and evening weekends from 4:00 to 9:30pm
- Must be 18 years of age with reliable transportation and GREAT work ethic
- Must be willing to work holidays. We try to rotate so you aren’t working every holiday, but the horses still seem to want to eat Christmas morning – so we have to be there to feed them!
- Must be organized, with high attention to detail
- Must have previous experience caring for horses
- Extra credit if you’ve worked at a show barn previously
- Background checks are mandatory
- Pay is competitive at $12.50/hour, and we do direct deposit every other Friday like clockwork!
- 20 to 30 hours weekly are available
If this is something you’re interested in, please click here to complete the BARN MANAGER questionnaire and we will get back to you shortly with more questions!
Maintenance and Yard Work –
Most of the pasture work is performed when the horses are not in the pasture, but the preference is still to have someone who is comfortable around horses and understands that firing up the lawnmower next to a child just learning walk-trot is probably not in everyone’s best interest. So this role is ideal for a person that is horse savvy, likes to get a good tan and is committed to hard work on their own schedule. Below are some of the details of what we’re looking for:
- Must be at least 16 years of age with reliable transportation
- Year-round opportunity with 20-30 hours a week
- Mowing pastures and yard around the barn
- Weed management – especially the summer!
- Composting / manure spreading
- Repair of broken fences
- Unloading hay and stacking in hay barn
- Working with tractor
- Pay is $10/hour
If any of the above positions are of interest to you or someone you know, please click here to complete the YARD AND MAINTENANCE questionnaire and someone from our management team will get back to you shortly!